Pages

August 5, 2011

My First Big (ish) Quilt!

A good friend of mine is due to have a baby in December. She has two girls already, and this is her third. The day she found out that she was going to be having a boy, I just knew I had to make her quilt/play mat for her litle man! Popped over to Spotlight, and hey presto - two matching bundles of fun material that were perfect for a little boy.
5 darker/busier prints
4 lighter/plainer prints
I decided to once again do a Disappearing Nine Patch - simple, easy and effective pattern! My original plan was to have the 5 darker/busier prints on the X of the nine patch block, but I decided on this layout instead:


So far, I have sewn all the nine patch blocks together. Next is to cut them in quarters, arrange, and sew them together. Then work out what I want to do with the binding and backing...

7 comments:

Maria said...

Hello, I've come from Lily's. I look forward to reading your blog. The disappearing 9 patch block is one of my favourites. Do post a piccie of your finished quilt.

beecee said...

Lily sent me. Nice prints for a babe. I look forward to seeing the blocks sewn together.

Ella said...

I love disappearing nine patches. That was my 1st quilt when I rediscovered quilting.

Cindy said...

I'm from Lily's! I need to try the disappearing nine patch!

Toni said...

Popping over from Lily's, too. The Disappearing Nine Patch is great, isn't it? Natalie at Greenleaf Goods just posted a beautiful one she made. Your fabrics will be great for a little boy!

Annaliese said...

I'm visiting from the small blog meet, too. So glad I popped over, I LOVE the quilt you're doing here! Fun summer colors <3 Can't wait to see how it progresses!

Annaliese
http://thepewteracorn.blogspot.com

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Hi! I came over from Lily's SBM too. :) Love the fabrics for the blankets.. can't wait to see future projects.
xo
Kelli